Close Menu
Fox Global – Breaking News, Insights & Trends
  • Home
  • Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • US
  • World
What's Hot

Trump renews Roger Clemens Hall of Fame support

August 31, 2025

ESPN star warns Alabama fans amid loss to Florida State

August 31, 2025

US Open 2025: Latvian tennis star apologizes for remarks

August 31, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Fox Global – Breaking News, Insights & Trends
  • Home
  • Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • US
  • World
Fox Global – Breaking News, Insights & Trends
Home » 20 states sue FEMA for canceling grant program that guards against natural disasters

20 states sue FEMA for canceling grant program that guards against natural disasters

adminBy adminJuly 17, 2025 Politics No Comments3 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Post Views: 35



AP
 — 

Twenty Democratic-led states filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the Federal Emergency Management Agency, challenging the elimination of a long-running grant program that helps communities guard against damage from natural disasters.

The lawsuit contends that President Donald Trump’s administration acted illegally when it announced in April that it was ending the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities program. FEMA canceled some projects already in the works and refused to approve new ones despite funding from Congress.

“In the wake of devastating flooding in Texas and other states, it’s clear just how critical federal resources are in helping states prepare for and respond to natural disasters,” said Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell of Massachusetts, where the federal lawsuit was filed. “By abruptly and unlawfully shutting down the BRIC program, this administration is abandoning states and local communities that rely on federal funding to protect their residents and, in the event of disaster, save lives.”

FEMA did not immediately respond Wednesday to a request for comment. It said in April that the program was “wasteful and ineffective” and “more concerned with political agendas than helping Americans affected by natural disasters.”

The program provides grants for a variety of disaster mitigation efforts, including levees to protect against floods, safe rooms to provide shelter from tornadoes, vegetation management to reduce damage from fires and seismic retrofitting to fortify buildings for earthquakes.

During his first term, Trump signed a law shoring up funding for disaster risk reduction efforts. The program then got a $1 billion boost from an infrastructure law signed by former President Joe Biden. That law requires FEMA to make available at least $200 million annually for disaster mitigation grants for the 2022-2026 fiscal years, the lawsuit says.

The suit claims the Trump administration violated the constitutional separation of powers because Congress had not authorized the program’s demise. It also alleges the program’s termination was illegal because the decision was made while FEMA was under the leadership of an acting administrator who had not met the requirements to be in charge of the agency.

The lawsuit says communities in every state have benefited from federal disaster mitigation grants, which saved lives and spared homes, businesses, hospitals and schools from costly damage.

Some communities have already been affected by the decision to end the program.

Hillsborough, North Carolina, had been awarded nearly $7 million to relocate a wastewater pumping station out of a flood plain and make other water and sewer system improvements. But that hadn’t happened yet when the remnants of Tropical Storm Chantal damaged the pumping station and forced it offline last week.

In rural Mount Pleasant, North Carolina, town officials had hoped to use more than $4 million from the BRIC program to improve stormwater drainage and safeguard a vulnerable electric system, thus protecting investments in a historic theater and other businesses. While the community largely supports Trump, assistant town manager Erin Burris said people were blindsided by the lost funding they had spent years pursuing.

“I’ve had downtown property owners saying, ‘What do we do?’” Burris said. “I’ve got engineering plans ready to go and I don’t have the money to do it.”



Source link

admin
  • Website

Keep Reading

‘How’s Imelda?’: Trump’s connection to Philippine leader may be through his mother

US to withdraw from UN scientific and cultural agency UNESCO again, White House says

Justice Department plans to reach out to Ghislaine Maxwell for a meeting

Why the administration’s latest allegations about the Russia investigation don’t add up

Judge partially blocks Trump administration from enforcing funding ban against Planned Parenthood

Gabbard’s Russian interference claims directly contradict what other Trump officials have said

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Editors Picks

Analysis of WSANDN’s Economic Initiative and Global Implications.

April 12, 2025

World Subnationals and Nations (WSandN) Negotiates Historic Economic Growth Partnership with 180 Countries.

March 27, 2025

Global Economic Council: Buffet, Musk, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Bernard Arnault, and Other Global Billionaires Named on Board to Drive Local Economic Growth Worldwide.

March 6, 2025

WSANDN’s EGCR and GPA Initiatives: Paving the Path to Global Peace & Unlocking $300 Trillion in Economic Prosperity.

March 5, 2025
Latest Posts

‘Young and the Restless’ star got death threats over mean character

August 30, 2025

Secret Service blocks Dyan Cannon from White House tour over age lie

August 30, 2025

‘Walking Tall’ sheriff staged wife’s 1967 murder in Tennessee, investigators say

August 30, 2025

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Welcome to Global-Fox.com
At Global-Fox.com, we bring you the latest insights and updates on politics, world affairs, opinion pieces, entertainment, lifestyle, health, and travel. Our mission is to provide in-depth, fact-based journalism that informs, educates, and engages our audience.

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2025 global-fox. Designed by global-fox.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.